People with diabetes need to carry out a strict control of the blood glucose levels of your body. A high rise of glucose in blood could be harmful for anyone, but especially for patients who have this pathology.
Thus, the best way to avoid alterations in glucose levels is to eat an adequate diet and combine it with healthy lifestyle habits; how to perform physical exercise regularly.
With all this, capillary blood glucose is one that is measured through a small prick on a finger that aims to extract a drop of blood. This sample is placed on a test strip and analyzed by a device called a glucometer.
The practice of capillary blood glucose is very common among people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. It is a way of constantly monitoring glucose levels without the need to go to a medical center.
This is one of the most popular methods for measuring blood glucose. However, it has the drawback of having to take a blood sample. For this reason, the technological and scientific community is working on new non-invasive formulas.
Checking your blood glucose and glucometer
The device used to measure blood glucose levels is called a glucometer. Thus, specialists in the field recommend performing a fasting measurement just after getting up.
It is also important to record the values obtained daily, in order to carry out a more precise control of blood glucose levels. However, it is necessary to emphasize that glucometers have a kind of memory in which the different measurements are stored.
Although, by writing down the daily values in a notebook we can also write down data of interest along with the measurement; how new foods have been incorporated into the diet, exercise carried out … etc.
This will be a magnificent formula that will serve as a guide for the medical specialist to determine what factors may have caused a potential rise or fall in blood glucose levels.
How to properly perform a glucose test
As we have previously pointed out, people with diabetes are practically obliged to monitor their blood glucose levels daily. It is a way to avoid complications in the disease and prevent future conditions.
Therefore, to perform a capillary blood glucose test correctly, it is convenient to know how the glucometer works. Since ‘Sanitas’ They offer us some clues in this regard:
1. Firstly, it is necessary to wash your hands well to remove any residue that may alter the measurement values.
2. Dry your hands well, since the mixture of the blood sample and water could offer blood glucose levels below the real ones.
3. It is not recommended to test your glucose with very cold hands.
How the meter works
Below we explain step by step the procedure to follow to correctly perform a glucose measurement through a glucometer:
1. Put the test strip in the glucometer.
2. The prick should be done every day on one finger. In addition, the most appropriate thing is to prick on the side of the finger, avoiding that it is the center of the fingertip.
3. Similarly, it is appropriate to draw a large enough drop of blood. Therefore, it is advisable to press the sides of the finger.
4. Subsequently, the strip is placed on the drop of blood and we wait until it absorbs a sufficient amount.
5. We check the result and write down the values obtained in a notebook.
6. Finally, we must extract the used test strip and throw it away. They are not reusable.