Other ways to increase vitamin D levels, beyond the sun

 

The vitamin D It is one of the most important vitamins for the correct functioning of the different structures that make up the organism human. Thus, its main source of obtaining are the ultraviolet rays from the sun.

Therefore, many people take advantage of the summer to increase their levels of vitamin D, taking advantage of more hours of the sun during the day. However, it is advisable to take a series of precautions when exposing the skin to the ultraviolet rays of the sun.

Experts recommend sunbathing for 15 to 20 minutes a day to increase the values ​​of this micronutrient. In addition, it is advisable to avoid the hours of greatest solar intensity, normally between 12:00 and 17:00 in the afternoon.

Another important aspect highlighted by specialists is that it would only be worth exposing strategic areas such as the face, legs or arms. And don’t worry, sunscreen doesn’t prevent the human body from metabolizing vitamin D.

Although, it is important not to overexpose ourselves to the sun, since this can cause significant damage to the skin and lead to skin cancer, as the main program.

Other ways to get vitamin D

Michael F. Holick, a medical specialist in the field of vitamin D, points out that 80% of the levels of this vitamin that we contain in the body comes from the sun’s rays, while the remaining 20% ​​comes from other ways of obtaining it.

vitamin D
Other forms of vitamin-D

In addition, it must be taken into account that the body does not have the capacity to produce vitamin D on its own. That is why it is necessary to incorporate it through the different forms that exist.

It is important not to obsess over the sun and want to increase vitamin D levels solely through this formula. And it is that through food we can also introduce significant doses of this vitamin.

On the other hand, in situations of high deficit, it is likely the need to go to vitamin supplements that contain vitamin D as the main element. Although, in this case it is always necessary to go to a specialist, who performs adequate supervision.

Food as a source of obtaining

To complement the obtaining of vitamin D through the sun, the best way to do it is through the consumption of certain foods. In addition to this vitamin, thanks to the intake of these products we will add new properties to the body, also necessary.

An important characteristic is that this vitamin is not found in such a varied range of foods as others, such as vitamin C or vitamin A. Therefore, it is necessary to select the foods properly.

An important source of vitamin-D is oily fish, such as sardines, mackerel, salmon, tuna, or cod liver oil. Seafood also provides good doses of this micronutrient, highlighting among this group oysters, prawns, prawns or clams.

On the other hand, butter, margarine, dairy products, mushrooms, mushrooms or egg yolks are also ideal for increasing vitamin D levels in summer; Beyond moderate exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet rays.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *